[antlr-interest] [v3] Lack of documentation

Phil Oliver antlr at olivercomputing.com
Mon Jul 2 16:43:59 PDT 2007

Just to clarify (not that a basic grasp of English requires it), I am
not a "fanboy". I was commenting on an important philosophic issue,
and defending the general principle of individualism and
trade-for-value. I have actually, unfortunately, stopped trying to
get ANTLR v3 to work for my project, due largely to a number of
unresolved bugs or at least too-mysterious problems, and am
successfully using JavaCC instead, but I still read this list and was
not going to let a sneering attitude towards making money go without comment.

ANTLR is open source as a matter of actual fact. There is no moral
obligation on the author's part to give away his version of the
manual. Anybody wishing to write independent documentation is free to
do so. The last time I checked there were a host of different books
on various open source programs, e.g. Linux, PostgreSQL, etc., and
most of them cost money to acquire. If Mr. Parr is further enabled by
sales of the book to spend time working on ANTLR, so much the better.