[antlr-interest] newbie question

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Wed Jul 4 17:15:00 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 16:13, ali azimi wrote:
> Dear Randall,
>
>   Thank you so much. I am very grateful for all the help you have
> provided me.

I'm happy to help.

Now perhaps you could help others in turn.

Messages to mailing lists with subjects like "newbie question" (you've
sent two of these today!) are very uninformative. It's far preferable
to put something specific in the subject. For example, for your first
question, something like "How do I include an apostrophe in a quoted
string?" would be suitable. For the second one (harder, admittedly)
perhaps "Help understanding ANTLR syntax error" (since that' really all
you have to go on, I take it).

Please try to keep in mind that mailing lists are not just
ephemeral, "stream of consciousness" things, but rather permanent
records of the attempts of a community of users' to use some particular
software. When people use Google or other search service to look for
help before themselves resorting to a list posting, meaningful subject
headers will help them find knowledge that's already out there. That's
something we all prefer to do, right? Help ourselves? Avoid burdening
others?

>   Al

Randall Schulz