[antlr-interest] newbie problem

ali azimi aliaazimi at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 4 17:22:12 PDT 2007

Dear all,

  When I try to generate code from my grammar I get the following errors. Where can I get more information about left-recursive problems? And how can I remedy them?

  [00:15:36] Aborting because the following rules are mutually left-recursive:
      [elementextract, infixexpression, expression, fieldextract]
      [fieldmodify, elementmodify, variable]            ;
  variable:fieldmodify|elementmodify|variableidentifier
              ;
   The followings are the part of grammar which I think, have problems.

  elementmodify
              :variable'('expression(','expression)*')'
              ;

  fieldmodify
              :variable'!'fieldname
              ;

  expression
              :literalidentifier|synonymidentifier|variableidentifier|fieldextract|elementextract|infixexpression|parenthesisexpression|operatorapplication|
              valuemake|imperativeoperator|conditionalexpression|forallname|spellingexpression
              ;
  infixexpression
              :expression dyadicoperator expression
              |monadicoperator expression
              ;

  elementextract
              :expression '('expression (',' expression)*')'
              ;

  fieldextract
              :expression '!'fieldname
              ;