[antlr-interest] ANTLRWorks 1.1 available

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Mon Jul 23 01:27:06 PDT 2007

At 14:55 23/07/2007, Randall R Schulz wrote:
 >The symptom is very reminiscent of a problem I once had with
 >dial-up to particular modem banks. At the time, I tracked it
 >down to a problem with checksum generation, causing repeated
 >retries with progressively (exponential!) increasing backoff
 >times.

Actually, that reminds me.  Many motherboards with integrated
network cards are now coming with something called "Checksum
Offload" switched on.  This supposedly makes throughput better by
making the CPU do more of the checksumming work instead of the
NIC, but in practice all it seems to do is to significantly
increase the number of bad packets and consequently packet
retries.  So it might pay to check that out.  (I'm not sure if
it's a driver-level "feature" or if it's something in the
hardware, and consequently whether it'll affect non-Windows
servers or not.)