[antlr-interest] Which version for a new project?

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Mon Mar 12 09:29:17 PDT 2007

Ric brings up an interesting point actually. I was going to make the C
codegen generate a C++ "Encapsulating" class out of interest to see how
it fares against the real C++ output. The differences are of course that
in your grammar you would still need to code for the C output, rather
then use C++ classes. However there could be advantages when the
compiler side of things is in C and you want to expose a C++ interface
elsewhere (at the highest interface level).

I have also discovered that I was a bit out off sync on the last beta
because of failing to check in a codegen template change (hence
everything worked great on my system but not in the perforce hosted
source code. I will fix that today/tomorrow, which means you will need
to build from source code (or ask me for a snapshot) for the C output to
be back up to scratch. The source that is in perforce now does generate
good code, but will warn you about a missing argument to one of the
codegen templates, which Ter must have snuck in when I wasn't looking
;-)

Jim