[antlr-interest] C# TARGET ANNOUNCEMENTS

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Sat Apr 12 19:27:36 PDT 2008

Johannes,

> > The standard java runtime has no equivalent to the old
> Token class in C#.
> > CommonToken and ClassicToken implement IToken but are otherwise
> > unrelated (nor should they be). Token is useful for
> injecting common
> > behaviour when in custom variants of the runtime.
>
> Firstly, people can create an own Token base class when truly
> necessary.
> Secondly, if we don't need it (which is because ClassicToken
> implements ANTLR v2 behaviour and CommonToken implements
> ANTLR v3 behaviour) then it doesn't make sense to include it.
>
> I really can't see why anyone would try to combine both
> classes or to create another variant, which doesn't follow
> the behaviour of ClassicToken or CommonToken. For the latter,
> I don't know if there is even a third possibility of
> semantics. It must be truly an oddball which we as runtime
> people for standard ANTLR shouldn't care about.

Not sure what to make of your opinions above.

I was just answering the question you asked about CommonToken (i.e. "does
CommonToken already fulfil the role of Token in the C# runtime?"). It
doesn't.

> > Might be worth checking if Prebuild be moulded to generate
> Nant files
> > that can build docs, the distro archives etc in addition to
> building
> > the assemblies...
>
> The distro archives? You mean the daily builds? For that
> using the ant-build is sufficient. One could add to the
> ant-build the building of the runtime targets at least as an
> option, as this would simplify things further.

No. Not the ANTLR tool builds. I was referring to the ANTLR C# runtime
distribution archives. For the downloads page.

I don't expect that C# devs would be happy to use Ant to build C# bits when
Nant exists. Conversely, I doubt that replacing the Ant build with a Nant
build would please Java devs wishing to build the java-based ANTLR tool
itself or indeed the java runtime. Same for C, Python....

Micheal