[antlr-interest] C# Error Recovery

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Thu Apr 17 02:07:29 PDT 2008

At 10:12 17/04/2008, Loring Craymer wrote:
>Most of the cases call "getTokenErrorDisplay() which cannot be
>pushed into the exceptions, and none of the error messages are
>localized (minimalist assumption:  StringTemplate is not
>available for the target language).  I suggest adding an "msg"
>field to RecognitionException so that Gavin's first suggestion
>can be implemented.

There's definitely no need to go adding extra fields -- they're
already there.  That was basically my point -- all C# exceptions
already have a settable message, and RecognitionException is no
different (and it even already includes constructors to set that
message).  The only missing piece of the puzzle is that
GetErrorMessage completely ignores the message set on the
exception.

I would have thought that Java exceptions were the
same?  (Googles.)  Yes, they are.

So for C#, changing the first line of
BaseRecogniser.GetErrorMessage from:
   string msg = null;
to:
   string msg = e.Message;
is all that's required.  Similarly for Java's
BaseRecogniser.getErrorMessage:
   String msg = e.getMessage();
(or even getLocalizedMessage(), if you prefer.)

It would most likely be similarly minor for any other target
language that supports exceptions, and only slightly more complex
for others.  (C++ actually falls halfway between the two.  The
standard doesn't actually mandate that std::exception have a
constructor which can take a string and store it, so some
implementations do and some don't.  But there isn't a C++ target
at the moment anyway, so the point is moot.)

But at the end of the day, having some way to raise user-specified
errors which are treated similarly to "standard" errors (as far as
error recovery and reporting go) seems like an essential thing to
have.

What would be even cooler would be a way to link a
target-code-block-that-returns-a-string to a validating predicate,
basically cutting out the middle-man, since it seems to me like
validating predicates are the most likely source of user-specified
errors.  But that's a separate issue; being able to catch the
FailedPredicateException and rethrow it as a custom one is
sufficient.

>I would argue against implementing Gavin's second suggestion at
>this time:  the token error display adds clarity for the user
>(yeah, you can look at line 13, figure out that "message" is in
>column 2, and then try to understand what just happened; but it
>is easier to look for "message" on line 13), and the current
>approach does allow the user to override getErrorMessage() to
>support localization via StringTemplate.

The second suggestion was simply a logical follow-through from the
first -- if you're using the text in the exceptions, and that text
can usefully be constructed by the exception itself (as with
FailedPredicateException), then why not do it?  Sure, still have
the central method which can be used for localisation or whatever
other overriding you want (Ter's right, it's a good idea), but why
not make the exception classes self sufficient?

I'm not really sure what you're saying about the "token error
display" though.  I never suggested removing that; I was
suggesting that enough information be given to the exception
constructors so that they can generate it themselves.

But, whatever.  The second idea isn't really all that important,
it's just a stylistic thing.  The first, however, I think is
vital.