[antlr-interest] default output path

Benjamin Shropshire shro8822 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Tue Feb 19 17:53:13 PST 2008

Jamie Penney wrote:
> Are you talking about ANTLRWorks, the ANTLR development environment,
that

> or the command line ANTLR tool? The command line version has the
> behaviour you exprect, ANTLRWorks defaults to using /tmp/ANTLR or
> something. Why does everything take you multiple hours/days to fix?
I only work part time a few days a week for one (divide multi-day range
intervals by about 4). For another, I'm overly reluctant to abandon an
approach after I've started trying it (if I wasn't I'd have abandoned
Antlr about 15 min after I first looked at it). This time: because I
wasn't deleting the .cs files and I had managed to kick it into working
from the command line the last I was working. Visual studio was just
using the old files.

I don't known what to expect to come out the back end so the fact that
nothing noticeable was change didn't clue me in as fast as It should*.
Also a fair part of that time was spent searching through the docs and
samples for examples similar to what I was doing.

> This was something I realised in about 5 minutes, when my grammar
> files weren't generated in the main directory, but were debugging fine.
>
> It is a silly default though, I agree.
>
> Jamie

* when you have no idea what's wrong or how the details work, it's
really can be hard to tell what's important. Sort of the inverse of
this: http://www.thecfooncall.com/wheretoputthex.html