[antlr-interest] Re : pseudocode translator to java, c and Ada

Gerald B. Rosenberg gbr at newtechlaw.com
Thu Feb 21 19:33:39 PST 2008

At 06:21 PM 2/21/2008, Joe Token wrote:
>So i leave the question open for those who are intersted to talk about :
>
>did anyone worked on pseudocode-->java translation ? thanks for any
>constructive answer !

You have been rather dismissive of all efforts to give you
constructive answers.  Perhaps it is a language problem.

This is an Antlr specific list, as you know.
As you may not (fully) realize, Antlr is a formal language
parser/generator.  Although quite flexible, there are limits to its use.
Pseudo-code is not a formal language, by any definition.

If you have a formal specification for your pseudo-code, then it
really is a formal domain specific language.  All of the
case/modeling tools that I am aware of are based on DSLs.  Many, if
not most Antlr projects do DSL transforms and the StringTemplate
library makes Java output trivial.  If this is your case, then the
short answer you are seeking is "yes" and "most everyone".

If you don't have a formal specification, then you will need some
form of natural language parser, or fuzzy logic evaluator to handle
the pseudo-code input.  If that is your case, then you are really
asking a question very ill suited for this list.

I work with MaxEntropy-based processors and Bayesian classifiers, as
well as various neural networks.  None would be well-suited to
support a soft, ill-defined pseudo-code transform to a hard formal
language.  Except perhaps in some very specific, very limited circumstances.

Maybe you need to explain more just what your pseudo-code is and what
the transformed output is supposed to be/do.  And, try to be constructive!