[antlr-interest] soliciting language recipes book outline feedback

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Mon Jan 7 10:42:02 PST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Tom Smith wrote:

> In the section on Translation recipes, I would love to see an
> outline of a multi-pass translator (e.g., to support semantic
> checks).  IMHO, I've seen great support for grammars (in the book,
> on this list, on the wiki), but there is much less material
> addressing the overall structure of applications.

True, although we cannot go into too much detail without writing a
different book.  I think each recipe should provide a nice outline of
the procedure. Abstracting all of these procedures into a decision
tree will be the subject of my textbook.

> As an example, after a lot of searching, I found a message from 2005
> in the archive of this list that I have used as a model for a multi-
> pass translator:
>
> http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2005-June/012788.html
>
> This, or more recent rethinking of such approaches, could be a great
> help as a how-to entry.

Cool.  Added "Designing grammars for reuse." to the outline.

Ter