[antlr-interest] ANTLRWorks 1.1.6 released

Montebello asmith at moncons.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 05:00:51 PST 2008

Hi Jean,

I am afraid that something seems to have broken in AW debug between
1.1.5 and 1.1.6.

I had a grammar set up in 1.1.5 which would check, generate code,
compile and run in debug without any errors. I upgraded to 1.1.6 and now
the same setup of grammar and configuration of AW produces a compilation
error when the debugger is preparing itself for a run. (Checking and
generation are still OK via the menu icons). As a result the debugger
will not continue.

The error shown in the console is the standard "cannot find symbol"
shown when the classpath is wrong. This occurs when the debugger is
attempting to compile the _Test_.java file at the first reference in
this file (line 12 on my system) to the Parser produced by the combined
grammar. The error may result because the debugger compiler classpath
perhaps does not now include the "classes" subdirectory into which the
compiler files the results of compilation. After a failed attempt this
subdirectory does contain fresh class files resulting from the
compilation of the parser and lexer code by the debugger.

To check my attribution of the error, after a failed attempt to run the
debugger in 1.1.6 I immediately reverted to 1.1.5 and with no other
changes the run was normal once more.

Can you look into this please as it makes 1.1.6 unusable for debugging.

Thanks for your efforts,

Andrew Smith