[antlr-interest] starting with language translation

David Holroyd dave at badgers-in-foil.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 05:35:19 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:05:49AM +0100, benzo wrote:
> funny you mention this. I once tried to grock
> http://www.badgers-in-foil.co.uk/projects/as2api/

Cool!  That project, being Ruby-based and targeting ActionScript 2
(rather than ActionScript 3), is completely unrelated to 'metaas'.

> I think it also has some parser lexer functionality in it.
> The problem is I couln't figure out how as2api works. As I'm new to
> ruby I also didn't manage to debug it.

Yes, it uses a hand-rolled lexer (based on regexps) and a hand coded
recursive descent parser.

  http://svn.badgers-in-foil.co.uk/as2api/trunk/as2api/lib/parse/

> IYHO could as2api be something that is interesting to me?

Well, if...

 1) your Java skills are stronger than your Ruby skills
 2) you want ActionScript 3, rather than ActionScript 2
 3) you want to generate, rather than parse AS3 code

...then you should be looking at metaas, rather than trying to pick bits
out of as2api.  You are certainly welcome to use as2api code if you
want, but I've not done anything with the project in a looooong time
now.

ta!
dave

--