[antlr-interest] Is this the correct use of ANTLR

Michael Bedward michael.bedward at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 18:25:59 PST 2009

Hi Bob,

Have just written my first language, which is also quite C-ish, while
learning ANTLR at the same time my advice would be slightly different
to Jim's.  Yes, it's really helpful to start from an example.  No,
don't start with a giant C grammar because you're likely to get lost.
That was my experience.

Terence's really simple C-minus example in the ANTLR book got me
started.  After that I found it helpful to just look at little bits of
other grammars when I was looking for ways of implementing a
particular feature.  I found the Python grammars on the ANTLR site
very helpful, even though my language is not pythonesque...

Hope this helps

Michael