[antlr-interest] Getting the hang of this

Tom Nurkkala tnurkkala at cse.taylor.edu
Fri Jul 17 22:15:03 PDT 2009

On Fri/17-Jul, at 8:39 PM, Bryan S Follins wrote:

> Also, I have a question for you, what exactly are "toy" problems?

Don't take the phrase "toy problem" as necessarily pejorative.  It's a
common phrase that simply refers to a small instance of a problem that
can be used to debug one's thinking or coding.  Not only do we all use
small problems when we're learning, but also much further down the
road to explore a new feature or configuration or algorithm or
language or whatever.  Just the other day, I created an ANTLR grammar
called DebugThinking.g, which contained a toy problem that helped me
get a handle on a much more complex problem I was trying to address.
Toys can be good!

tom.