[antlr-interest] Getting the hang of this

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Fri Jul 17 19:00:05 PDT 2009

At 13:39 18/07/2009, Bryan S Follins wrote:
 >Sometimes I might ask a question, and it make take 24 hours to
 >get an answer. I can understand that, but it doesn't help the
 >learning process.

When you repost the same question four times within six hours, it
tends to annoy people.  When that question is one that can be
trivially answered through experimentation, reading the wiki, or
reading the book, it tends to annoy them more.  When you don't
show any evidence of having tried any of those things, it annoys
them a lot.  That's just the way these sorts of group collectives
work.

http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

(Don't just dismiss this, read that page through.  In particular
it tells you how to frame your questions in ways that tend to make
people more helpful in response.)