[antlr-interest] Getting the hang of this

Bryan S Follins asalh at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 17 18:39:55 PDT 2009

Loring

Thanks for the advice.  But Tom helped. He taught instead of judged. Just
like people are intolerant about those who don't carry their own weight, I'm
intolerant about being judged all the time.  I'll say it again, I am
pursuing an MS in computer science. I'm trying to get my degree online,
which means distance learning. I also have a liberal arts background. So, I
see, and comprehend a little differently. I have to work, like I'm sure most
of you do.  Sometimes I might ask a question, and it make take 24 hours to
get an answer. I can understand that, but it doesn't help the learning
process. I'm sure you may have come upon a situation once upon a time where
some tutoring advice may work a little better than reading something. Let me
ask you a question. If you are really stomped on a problem, and you sit
there and try and try again for six, seven, or eight hours without a
solution, knowing your time is limited, what would be the proper course of
action? I mean, without cheating.  I would think it would be go to a talk
group like this where someone may be able to explain it to you. I go to
links all the time to find documentation, trust me.  It's just that
sometimes, I might need a little extra help.  This morning someone took
about 30 minutes to help, and in solving one problem, they helped me to
solve many others.

I know there are people around who just want people to do their work for
them.  I'm not one of those.  I'm also a teacher like some in this group, so
I also understand the importance of patience and not being quick to judge.

I figure if I learn something, I might be able to pass it on to someone in
my situation.

Also, I have a question for you, what exactly are "toy" problems? It may be
that one man's meat is another man's problem. I'm sure that everybody had to
start learning somewhere, and somewhere along the line they had "toy"
problems.  I guess the ol' saying "there is no such thing as a stupid
question" does not work all the time after all.

And, what type of student wants to bypass the learning process??  I
understand there are some, but it's not me.

Bryan