[antlr-interest] "Language design patterns" book available in beta

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Fri Jun 5 15:36:54 PDT 2009

On Friday June 5 2009, Terence Parr wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Steve Cooper wrote:
> > First, thanks for writing this book. I'm a good way through already
> > and have written my first LL(2) recursive descent parser today. I'm
> > very happy with the book.
>
> great!
>
> > "If I have to skimp to make it into only 350 pages, where should I
> > be terse?"
> >
> > I can only offer this; most people, I would think, will be writing
> > smaller languages and DSLs. So deemphasise anything that applies
> > only to large general-purpose languages.
>
> true...

Is it?

Simple languages (such as typical DSLs) are simple to parse and process.
I would think there's more to say about more complex languages with
richer grammars that lead to more demanding language processing issues
in areas such as error-handling and -reporting, ambiguity resolution,
symbol table design, island grammars, AST design, etc.

So I would say aim towards the more complex, less obvious stuff. TDAR is
sufficient for dealing with simple languages, isn't it?

> Ter

Randall Schulz