[antlr-interest] Issue with antlrworks 1.3.1 and JDK 1.6 update 17?

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 03:33:23 PST 2010

I did a recent round of upgrading software on my machines (real and virtual)
and somewhere in the process I've got ANTLRworks in unusable shape.  (I
tried reporting this through the antlr.org web site but it doesn't seem to
have taken.)

On *every* machine I have access to (both real and virtual, running Windows
XP or Linux) I get the following pretty nasty behaviour:

   1. *java -jar antlrworks.jar* (I can also use javaw on Windows for a
   similar, more annoying effect.)
   2. *The splash screen pops up briefly.*
   3. *The "New Document" dialogue replaces it.*
   4. I hit "Cancel" (or alternatively press "Esc" on the keyboard).

At this point, no matter the platform, no matter what I try, I have a dead
executable until I hit Ctrl+C (or, if I used javaw, I kill it in the task
manager).  I've tried this on Ubuntu 9.04, on Slackware 13.0 (virtualized),
on Windows XP (four different machines, one virtualized) and get this
behaviour consistently.  Whatever's supposed to happen when I cancel the new
document dialogue freezes and can only unfreeze through lethal injection of
Ctrl+C.  (There are, of course, no messages on the console that could tell
me what's going on.)

The behaviour on Windows after this if I choose "OK" is acceptable.  Up
comes the wizard for a new project which works normally and, more
importantly, can be cancelled and gets me into the ANTLRworks GUI.  It's a
bit obnoxious having to go that route, but it works.  If I choose to use the
wizard everything works as expected.

The behaviour on Linux is less acceptable.  The new project wizard pops up
but the text input focus is on ANTLRworks' editor window and CANNOT be put
into the wizard at all on any spot.  I have to cancel the wizard to get to
the main window (which then works as expected).  This also happens if I go
File -> New from the main window: I simply cannot get text input into any
field of the new project wizard.

The last time I did anything with ANTLRworks was v1.3.0 using JDK 1.6 update
16.  I did not see this behaviour then at all, so something has happened
between then and now.

Any advice for debugging this further?