[antlr-interest] Tree pattern maching using the C# (was C) target

Marc Speyer m.y.speyer at inter.nl.net
Mon Jan 18 08:39:00 PST 2010

Hi Johannes,

I tried the version that you mentioned by downloading it from
antlr:/runtime/CSharp2 in the Fisheye code repository and then tried to
compile it using VS2008. This didn't work because a file "TokenConstants.cs"
was reported missing by VS2008 and gave me compilation errors. I managed to
get a version from the CSharp3 repository and after making one change I
could compile. I noticed that the Downup method is part of the Treefilter
class which inherits from the TreeParser class. The grammar for the tree
parser from the example has the following header:

// START: header
tree grammar DefRef;
options {
  tokenVocab = Cymbol;
  ASTLabelType = CommonTree;
  filter = true;
  language=CSharp2;
}
@members {
    SymbolTable symtab;
    Scope currentScope;
    public DefRef(ITreeNodeStream input, SymbolTable symtab)
    	: this(input)
    {
        this.symtab = symtab;
        currentScope = symtab.globals;
// END: header

Generating the tree parser gives DefRef.cs with the DefRef class declared
as:

public partial class DefRef : TreeParser

Now I can cast this into the TreeFilter class but to test things quickly I
changed the above line in the DefRef.cs into:

public partial class DefRef : TreeFilter

In the calling program I use:

DefRef def = new DefRef(nodes, symtab); // use custom constructor
def.Downup(t); // trigger symtab actions upon certain subtrees

When I run this nothings happens whereas I have grammar rules and actions
like:

exitBlock
    :   BLOCK
        {
        Console.WriteLine("locals: "+currentScope);
        currentScope = currentScope.getEnclosingScope();    // pop scope

I have not figured out yet why this doesn't work. The examples is a
one-to-one port of the Java example of pattern 17 Symbol Table for Nested
Scopes of the Language Implementation Patterns.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Marc