[antlr-interest] Fedora antlr3-tool command line antlr returns version 2.7.7

The Researcher researcher0x00 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 10:16:25 PDT 2011

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

No, I don't consider it noise. I never noticed the difference between
antlr.Tool and org.antlr.Tool.

I actually use a Visual Studio environment with ANTLRWorks and have been for
many years.

I am working to make it easier for a first time user of ANTLR to get
started. As such I was planing on creating an appliance (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_appliance) but it comes out to about
2.5 GB. So for now I will just distribute the detailed instructions and
beginner walk troughs. i.e. Eclipse with ANTLR IDE plug-in, ANTLRWorks, and
considering Maven.

While it would be nice to use Linux packages for doing the install, I can
only use them if they do as I need. The ANTLR packages do apply to ANTLR,
but I am finding out they are not what I was expecting for a first time
user.

The more I work on this the more I find out how varied the environments are
of the users of ANTLR and the more there should be documentation giving
insight to all of this. Clearly I only know a part of it, but hopefully can
explain one version of it well enough to help others.

Thanks, Eric