[antlr-interest] Fwd: Any HTML editors for rich editing of documents conforming to an ANTLR grammar?

Gary Miller gary at sumwise.com
Sun Jul 31 02:58:51 PDT 2011

Hey Colin,

A possible answer is for you to use an ANTLR grammar with exception
handling inside a browser. I don't have experience using ANTLR to do
syntax (context free or in a semantic context) prompting, and
understand that making this easier is one of the objectives of ANTLR
4. This is obviously not a solution for a generic DSL, like XText.

We (www.sumwise.com) are using ANTLR generated code in a browser (not
server side) in a roundabout way. Using the default Java target, the
Java source is then taken and compiled to Javascript using Google Web
Toolkit (GWT). There is a bit a work to get the ANTLR runtime to be
GWT compliment. I have made my version of this available at
http://code.google.com/p/gwtified/. From conversation I have had this
is for more robust then the JS target. The JS is all modern browser is
fast enough for acceptable results in my experience (Chrome, Safari,
FF3.5+, IE9, iPhone, Android).

Is there any interest in get GWT officially supported in ANTLR? It is
mainly a build issue, there are very few source issues.

Regards
Gary