[antlr-interest] How to use antlr-interest mailing list

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Mar 6 20:16:31 PST 2011

On 03/06/2011 07:22 AM, Stephen Tuttlebee wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is my first time using the antlr-interest mailing list and mailing
> lists in general and am wondering if there is any way for me to receive
> digests whilst still being able to respond to specific messages? With
> digests turned on at the moment, the best I can manage is to reply to my
> own messages (from my e-mail outbox). Anyone know of a way I can do both?

Stephen,
	ANTLR uses GNU Mailman for its email list (as opposed to Yahoo egroup,
or an older ListServ, or a GoogleGroup).  As such, most email servers
have the option of you receiving your emails either individually or in a
digest form.  Contrary to popular belief, in order to maintain proper
email threading in response to particular emails in a digest, the
support needs to be in your email program.  Very few of them do it
correctly.  Also contrary to popular belief, anyone who tells you to
just change the subject line *is* *wrong*.  They probably do not a use
an email program which maintains proper email threading by properly
following the hints and tips in the email headers.  If all you do is
change the subject line, it will not be properly threaded by the users
who use the proper software, in fact, it will *break* that threading.

	I really can't explain how difficult it is to properly follow
discussions that have been broken by people using inferior email
software, or just don't care that they are breaking the threading.....
(And I'm not talking about just *this* email list!  I am subscribed to
more than a dozen different email lists of various kinds....)

> Also, anyone know of somewhere that explains how to use the mailing
> list. I've moreorless worked it out but an explanation somewhere might
> be helpful.

The 2 links at the bottom of each and every email should be your
starting place.  All of the documentation is linked from those pages.
For the most part, when you sent out your email, you showed that you
understood most of what it takes to know how to use the email list.  B^)