[antlr-interest] How viable is the Csharp3 target?

Kevin Cherry kcherr1 at tigers.lsu.edu
Wed Oct 19 08:12:50 PDT 2011

I kind of got turned off when CSharp3 target was first introduced and the
code template had bugs in it. For example, at the end it would print out a
single line comment with the keyword namespace and the name of the namespace
(i.e. // namespace foo). The problem was somebody put a newline after the
"//" and so "namespace foo" was taken in as code and caused even simple
grammars to generate syntactically incorrect code. This wasn't the only bug.
I basically had to modify the code template, but good luck trying to figure
out how to do that and still use Antlrworks. I basically used 7zip to unzip
the Antlrworks.jar file, locate the csharp code template, change it, then
use java to archive it back into a jar and run it. I will say, though, that
I enjoy now knowing how to control other aspects of the generated code (like
the visibility of the class, which really should just be an antlr option
considering how dead simple it would be to implement (but I'll leave that
alone)). Anyway, if you are having any issues with the generated code, try
the above approach to get Antlrworks to use your own modified template.