[antlr-interest] contemplating a move of mailing list to stackoverflow.com

Richard Matthias richardmatthias at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 08:46:23 PDT 2012

Getting people to ask questions on SO makes sense, but bear in mind that
the whole design of SO is actively hostile to any kind of debate and so
it's fine if a question has one specific answer like "where is the
ambiguity that ANTLR is complaining about here?", but it really gets in the
way when someone needs more general help with input from more than one
person. Essentially you have a tree of depth one with the question as the
root and each answer as a leaf - although more than one person can answer,
the ordering is changed by votes and changed randomly when there are no
votes.

They do have comments on both the question and each answer that are ordered
getting into debates in the answers themselves, but they are limited in
size and editability in order to further be hostile to the users desire to
actually communicate with eachother.

And of course if you want to announce anything or get feedback like this
thread, you'll still need a mailing list or forum of your own.

Personally I use ANTLR, but I don't post on this so I don't know if my
opinion counts much. However, I read (or at least skim) every mailing list
thread. I probably won't see any SO questions because I don't use the site
that much any more due to the way it tries to turn people into faceless
question-answering automatons.