[antlr-interest] Interesting error in attribute access

bharath vissapragada bharathvissapragada1990 at gmail.com
Sun May 6 08:48:28 PDT 2012

Hi all,

My grammar is as follows

A = blah blah (X|Y)?   // I can have one or none X , Y but not both

Now my grammar is as follows :

A :  blah blah (x=X|y=Y)?
 -> {$x ==  null } ^(tok_blah X)
-> {$y == null} ^(tok_blah Y)
->   ^ (tok_blah)
;

When I compile my grammar .. It raises "missing attribute access on rule
scope" ..I googled a bit and changed my grammar to the following

A :  blah blah (x=X|y=Y)?
 -> {$x.text ==  null } ^(tok_blah X)
-> {$y.text == null} ^(tok_blah Y)
->   ^ (tok_blah)
;

and now the grammar compiles correctly. When I give the input as  "blah
blah X" .. it parses it correctly ..However if I give
"blah blah Y" .. it fails ...I am using java and I looked into the source
of the code generated by grammar.

The code is trying to access attribute "text" of null variable $x without
checking if $x is null.  Any workaround for this error?

I need to check it the variable $x is null instead of checking if its
'text" attribute is null. Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

--
Regards,
Bharath .V