[antlr-interest] Syntax- highlighter and completition

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Fri Aug 13 12:43:23 PDT 2010

Yep, it is. Just create a blank Netbeans Platform Application on 6.9 without
anything else and see how much code you need to package it as a single jar
with dependencies: 7,329KB Then add a few modules!

> The size of the NetBeans platform apps
> generated (i.e., what is bundled), is correlated with the properties you
set in
> your module suite. In other words, if you include C compilers, java
compilers,
> and all sorts of other goodies built into netbeans then, yes, your
distribution
> can be a few hundred megs. If, however, you don't include them (and you
> shouldn't, if you don't need them), then the files are not particularly
large. I
> forget off the top of my head the size of an empty module suite distro,
but it
> isn't much, for modern software.

Ah, and therein lies the rub. Why does 'modern' software need to be so
'big'? No need to answer that ;-) So, we are talking about personal opinion
as to what is 'big' and I am from an era where a 300K shared runtime library
in C would be considered pretty huge :-)

Now, I personally think Netbeans is really good; I worked on the integration
of ANTLR/JavaFX  with some of the Netbeans team and I use Netbeans over
anything else as a Java IDE. But there is no getting away from the fact that
all these Java platforms require lots of jars and dependencies and the
memory footprint can be a problem.

So, as I said, if such things are not a problem for your environment then it
matters little, but for instance I have a project where I would have liked
to use it, but the embedded device just does not have enough storage to
deliver it  to the client for instance.

Jim