[antlr-interest] Evaluation boolean expressions

Martin Probst mail at martin-probst.com
Wed Jul 27 07:54:02 PDT 2005

Hi,

> - the grammar examples are either very straightforward or quite
> incomprehensible for newbies (as I am), and the learning curve seems
> endless.

There is a considerable learning curve, but that is mainly the learning
curve of compiler construction / language recognition etc. I found the
actual learning curve for ANTLR to be quite easy.

> Actually, I'm pretty sure that what I'm trying is do is a five minutes
> working time for an experienced ANTLR and java developer.

Well, it's probably possible to get this working somehow quite quick.
But the question is if that is actually helpful for you. I'd bet that
you're not trying to build a "calculator that supports booleans" but
something more complex. And in that case you will probably not succeed
with something hacked together quickly.

Martin