ANTLR 2.x a Mess ? ( was [antlr-interest] Complaints about BaseAST implementation)

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Oct 12 19:25:06 PDT 2005

On Oct 12, 2005, at 4:34 PM, Geir Ove Skjaervik wrote:

> Hello
>
> Terrence said: (snip) <<That said, ANTLR 2 is a mess built under
> duress
> in my part time.  >>
>
> This is disturbing news for all of us that has based projects on 2.x
> versions ! It is NOT a matter of just swithcing to 3.0 in the midst
> of a
> project !

It's a mess internally but it is very stable.

> I do sincerely hope that wa a figure of speach, and not a signal that
> ANTLR bugs like the one I reported with the Wong Bitset Code
> generation
> will not be attended to in 2.x

I will do my best to find this and fix bugs until 3.0 comes out, but
for the most part people seem very happy with 2.0.  I was mainly
indicating how much I don't like the internals of the old system.
The v3 is almost identical to the old in grammar functionality so I'm
pleased with the human interface clearly :)

Ter