[antlr-interest] Help please

Johannes Luber jaluber at gmx.de
Wed Apr 25 04:55:36 PDT 2007

ali azimi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, I study at an MSc level in Computing. For my individual
> project, I Intend to write a program which takes SDL-PR input files
> which is a textual representation and displays them as SDL/GR.
>

> I need to write a parser in ANTLR for the purpose of this project and then use ANTLR's tree grammar mechanism to generate an XML output format which can be processed by some graphics/graph/UML
>  tool.
>

> However I have no knowledge as to how I can proceed with this task
> (writing ANTLR). Could you please give me some advice? Once I produce
> the parser in ANTLR how can I use ANTLR's tree grammar mechanism to
> generate an XML output format?

As I never heard of SDL-PR and SDL/GR I can't give you specific advice
on implementing such a grammar. Maybe someone posted already a grammar
on the ANTLR website here http://www.antlr.org/grammar/list. If yes, it
may be still for ANTLR 2 but there is a converter to ANTLR 3. Otherwise
I suggest to read
<http://www.antlr.org/wiki/display/ANTLR3/Quick+Starter+on+Parser+Grammars+-+No+Past+Experience+Required>
and look at the other tutorials available which cover more advanced topics.

Best regards,
Johannes Luber