[antlr-interest] Newbie can't get off the ground and get through tutorial successfully

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Wed Dec 5 11:06:15 PST 2007

At 07:21 6/12/2007, Bern.McCarty at bentley.com wrote:

>I’m brand new to antlr and to try to get off of
>the ground I’m trying to go through the
>AntlrWorks tutorial at
><http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/calculator.html>http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/calculator.html.
>When I get to the part where I try to Debug I
>always get a modal Error dialog stating: “Cannot
>launch the remote parser because port 49153 is
>already in use”. But I’m just doing this
>tutorial straight-up.  What made AntlrWorks even
>decide to do remote debugging in the first
>place? I thought it did Java stuff (as this
>tutorial is) in-process? I am not selecting
>“Debug Remote
” from the Debugger menu, rather I
>am selecting “Debug
”.

I'm not sure, but there's a decent chance that
the plain Debug still uses the same debug port as
the "real" parser.  Most likely it's sharing
classes for simplicity.

>For what it is worth:
>
>netstat -an | findstr 49153
>
>   TCP    0.0.0.0:49153          0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
>
>   TCP    [::]:49153             [::]:0                 LISTENING

Try using -bv as well -- that will tell you which
process is listening on that port.  Most likely
you've got a dangling copy of the parser lurking around somewhere.